P is for prognosis....

Now feels like the right time to tackle the elephant in the room.

Prognosis. Such a little word, yet huge implications. If you don't want to know and prefer to live in blissful ignorance then now is the time to stop reading.

If you're still reading then I'll assume you want to know. I did, so asked a while ago, but somehow the time didn't feel right to share. Perhaps we were just coming to terms with it ourselves.

Prognosis for breast cancer is quoted in terms of the percentage of women still alive after 5 years. By it's very nature it means that the figures are at least 5 years old and one would hope that the situation has improved in this time. It isn't just one figure; it's split by which stage of breast cancer you have. Stages are defined as stage 1-4, depending on a number of different factors.

I have stage 4. The percentage of women still alive after 5 years with stage 4 in the most recent figures is 22%. I don't need to tell you that this means that 78% aren't. I also probably don't need to say that my aim is to be in the 22%. The alternative just isn't comprehensible to me. The clinical trial result for the regime that I am on is somewhat better, with 44% alive after 5 years. This hasn't yet been fully reflected in the "official" figures as the treatments haven't yet been available for 5 years.

This is the reality and uncertainty of what I live with on a daily basis. It's the cold, hard, unpalatable truth of this disease. It robs you of any certainty around the future, but does teach you to live every day to the full. I say this in an objective way; I do not want pity. I've always defied the odds and have every intention of carrying on to do so!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The odds keep improving, seems they're there to be beaten... what better objective!? No one better to beat them!

      Delete
  2. Go for it tiger, you can beat this beast. Besides, I want you to come to my 60th birthday party so you can turn up as your usual, glamorous self and that's still three years away! Hugs. Hxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Fuckety fuck fuck

A tale of 2 pairs of shoes.......